Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Finale - - San Francisco

I love San Francisco! The last time I was there, I couldn't stop thinking about Joey. I wanted him to ask me out again a.s.a.p! So I was thrilled when I came home from that trip to his phone call, asking if he could take me out for my 21st birthday! What does that little story have to do with the final part of our road trip? Nothing really. Other than that was my way of convincing him we had to go there because it had been far too long since I had my S.F. fix! 

Back to the road trip!

My parents met us in San Francisco. We decided to get there a day earlier than planned so we could see more of the city and explore together. We rode B.A.R.T. into the city and began our walk from the Ferry Building, all along the pier to Boudin's then over to Ghirardelli (mmm). Later than afternoon, we picked up  my parents from the airport and went to a family favorite, Thai Town (!) for dinner. Favorite thing there - - definitely their coconut juice with these long pieces of soft coconut. So good.

Sunday, we went to a Somoan Ward for Church. It was the best. They sang so beautifully. I would just close my eyes and listen, absolutely loving it.

That afternoon we drove into the city. We had a delicious lunch at Tony's Napoletana, super good pizza and brussel sprouts!!
At lunch. 

From there we went to Lincoln Park. It is such a beautiful park. It's right along the ocean and has a great lookout at the Golden Gate Bridge. The only thing, it was so windy there!!! Hence the following picture:


 I love this picture of him! 




That night we went to Ghirardelli with my mom's friend Audrey. They have been friends since the 3rd grade! We LOVE to get giant ice cream sundaes there. 



We enjoyed a lovely dinner from Whole Foods. The only problem... mine always costs so dang much. The price is based off of the weight. You would think a salad really won't be that heavy. Yeah, not mine. 1 1/2 lb salad!! That dang tofu adds a lot of the weight. But it is so good. We took our salads home and enjoyed them in the comfort of our hotel rooms. Perfect!

Our final day in San Fran we walked a long ways to a fun store called the Sport's Basement. I love the walk! The best way to see San Francisco is by foot. The weather was perfect and the views are so beautiful. Yeah it's fun to shop there and see the city, but I can do without all of that. I just want to be down by the water, walking through nature along side my husband. It was perfect.



We finished the day at "The Stinking Rose". Go there if you LOVE garlic and don't mind smelling like it or tasting it for days. Everything is full of it. It is so so good!! Favorite item: Bagna Calda!! It is a pan of olive oil and about 100 roasted garlic cloves. It just melts like butter on to bread and is full of flavor. But it may make your husband not want to kiss you the rest of the night :) It helps when he had a ton of the good stuff too!




"Stinking Rose"

See you next time San Fran! 

Before hitting the road for the long haul, we drove to Santa Cruz. I have always wanted to go there. The boardwalk was desolate and a little creepy. But we could picture how fun it would be in the summer! We walked along the pier, watched the sea lions, and had a slice of yummy pizza from Pizza My Heart! Even though it was short, I'm glad we made the stop!

View of the Boardwalk from the pier.

Our plan was to get up and drive the whole 12 1/2 hours back to AZ the next day but we were feeling a little fried by the time we reached Ontario so we decided to stay the night. But not until we filled our bellies with In-N-Out and Yogurtland! :) It was my first burger in at least a year. A monumental moment for me. 
After a good night's rest, we were ready to hit the road and drive the final 5 hours. 
We were excited to get back after our 16 day adventure. We missed our families and nieces and nephews like crazy!! 

The stats of the trip:
Miles traveled - 4,133 
Hours of driving - 57 hours
Tickets - 0!!!!! (Miracle!)
And here's how it looks... Sorry Nevada, we don't like you very much.

Funnest trip!! I wish we could do it again! 

Next Adventure: CHINA!! 
We leave February 7th for 4 1/2 months. 
Excited. Scared. Curious.
Wish us luck!

9 comments:

  1. WOW! I LOVE this! It makes me wanna go on a roadtrip right now! The pictures of all the scenery are just SO beautiful :) Well you already know I am extremely jealous so I'll just tell you my blog address already :) its cocosroad.blogspot.com it basically is a little journal for me and I don't really know what I'm doing so don't make fun! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun, Kelsey. I love San Fran. Haven't been there in about 7 years. I also love garlic so that restaurant would be perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun fun trip! I'm jealous, road trips are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kels....this is so greatl! You are going to have to print this out in a book!! Loved all the photos and the map at the end! What a fantastic trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelsey! I am so glad you found my blog and I would be so happy if you would add me to your list. I've already added you to mine :) Looks like you guys are doing great and that you had a fun trip! I am jealous. I love road trips with Sam. Some of the best conversations we've had and the most fun we've had together have been in the car. Anyway, you look great as always and I'm looking forward to keeping up with your blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. San Fran looks fun, but let me tell ya, China is NOTHING like it! haha. I have a friend who did ILP and now lives in Beijing with her husband. I know that is not where you are going but I love reading crazy China stories. (Which means you better keep this blog updated!!!) Here's her blog address if you want it:

    http://simplyputnam.blogspot.com

    Also, you have to have to have to make sure you make it to Yangshuo! Most of China is crowded, polluted and ugly but Yangshou was the most beautiful place I have ever seen and has lots of fun outdoor things to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you for the Yanshuo tip! We will definitely make it a point to go there!! We are going to be teaching in Changzhou, I guess its about a 3 hour bus ride from Shanghai. If you have ANY other tips for us (things to bring, things you were able to buy there, etc...) we would appreciate it so much! Thanks Annie!

      Delete
    2. And thank you for your friends blog!!! I have a feeling I am going to be spending waaay too much time reading it over this next week!

      Delete
  7. oh my gosh I can't believe how far you've traveled! It sounds like an awesome trip. NExt CHINA!!! AHHH :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete