Thursday, August 23, 2012

Tomato Basil Pasta - Summertime Favorite

Us kids grew up with a momma who always planted tomatoes in her summer garden. 

Tomato season in the LeSueur house would always mean Tomato Basil Pasta for dinner. 
wahooo!!!

Turns out, when I told my mom yesterday that I was making it she confirmed, "That's what we're having too!" No coincidence my friends, we have the same taste buds and appetite. And... probably our minds way of helping us feel like we're not 1500 miles apart. 

Sunday, we had one of Joey's mission companions over for dinner (he's the one you can blame for ever putting this whole Nebraska nonsense in Joeys head... and I guess mine too). He just returned home from his home town of Cedar City and brought us a slew of tomatoes, cucumber and corn from their garden. I turned to Joey and said "It's Tomato Basil week!" He knew exactly what that meant and agreed. 


(Yes, I balanced the bowl on our third floor apartment balcony rail. I was so so happy the ridiculous wind from the day didn't send a serious gust right then).

Here is the sought after recipe! Enjoy!

Tomato Basil Pasta

10 Tomatoes (really any kind of hearty, juicy tomato you like)

1 cup basil, chopped -- this is a lot more than you think. I pulverized my basil plant to get enough. But it is definitely worth it!!

2 TBS Parsley, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3/4 tsp red pepper flakes

1/8 tsp salt

8 to 16 oz Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, diced (depending on how much cheesy, melty goodness you want in there. I did 12 oz)

1 lb. Small Shell or spiral (fusilli) pasta -- I used brown rice fusilli, found at Trader Joe's or most places with a "gluten-free" section. I love the flavor of those and I feel like it holds it's shape and texture better. But just a thought. 

Dice/Chop the tomatoes, then combine with all other ingredients EXCEPT pasta. Let tomato mixture sit aside for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour, to let the juices collect and flavors to marry together. Cook pasta al dente, drain, DO NOT RINSE, immediately combine the drained pasta with the tomato mixture. Stir together. Cover for about 5 to 10 minutes to allow the cheese to melt a little. mmmm. So good!

Sprinkle with a little pepper for added flavor. 

Hope you like it as much as we do! 

1 comment:

  1. We have enjoyed ours for the past two days. Tomorrow I start canning the rest of our tomatoes. I loved the post and the new background

    ReplyDelete