Thursday, August 4, 2011

The BEST Peanut Butter Cookie

School starts two weeks from today... the countdown is on. Normally, I completely dread the start of another semester but to be honest, this semester slightly different because it's our Last One!! Well for our undergrad's at least. Until August 18th, you may hear a lot from me because I have some chunks of free time. Since I gave you a dinner recipe yesterday I've decided you also need a super duper delicious cookie recipe... a clean cookie recipe. It's not filled with butter, white sugar, or white flour and tastes even better than those that are. The best part about it, there are no eggs in the recipe so the cookie dough is fair game! Eat it up! But try to save some dough to actually bake, because they are far too good baked as well!


The Perfect Clean Peanut Butter Cookie


Preheat oven 350*F
Combine:
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (if you have a wheat grinder, purchase soft white wheat (available at Shar's Bosch Kitchen) and grind it to retain the nutrients that it holds. 
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt

In a separate bowl, combine:
1 cup organic peanut butter (Costco has a great deal on organic peanut butter, I believe it's 2 for $8 and they're a good size).
1 cup pure maple syrup (again, I buy this at Costco)
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 TBS vanilla

Stir until well combined.

1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (Might I suggest the Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips - Walmart has these the cheapest - or any other quality dark chocolate) Why dark chocolate? Less sugar so it's more satisfying and it tastes better :)

Pour flour mixture over peanut butter mix and stir until it is about half way combined, then add chocolate chips and stir a little more until there is a bit of dustiness left to it. Let it sit 5 minutes then stir one more time, just a quick easy stir. **Refrigerate the dough until it's chilled (usually an hour is sufficient). I always chill any cookie dough I make, I find it helps them to stay much more puffy and thick once baked instead of flattening out. Scoop the dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. It's important not to over bake these so be cautious if you know your oven cooks a little faster. Cool for 5 minutes on the pan then transfer them to a cooling rack. Enjoy!

Your going to love these! I was stunned when I first tried them, I couldn't believe a butter-less, egg-less, white sugar-less, and even white-flour less cookie could taste so perfect. Give them a try!

Sorry I don't have a picture of these, I made them a couple of weeks ago but that was pre-blog. Just talking about them though is tempting me to make them tonight. If so, I'll update this.

Recipe from 101cookbooks.com "Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe" found HERE! Explore this site, it is absolutely wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. These sound so yummy! I will have to try them. So my friend has another super good peanut butter cookie recipe that you have to try! it is...1 cup natural peanut butter
    1 cup sucanat or coconut sugar
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    handful of chocolate chips, optional
    they are sooo good! can't wait to get more recipes from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey it's like our dinner the other night! :)
    so... can I use regular flour, peanut butter, and syrup?? will they still turn out ok?
    I know it's not AS healthy.. but it's still better than chowing down on Reeses cups or regular choc chip cookies right??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelby - those sound awesome! I'll have to try them!
    Brookey - You caught me, the two things I've posted are the easiest and my favorites! :) You can definitely use regular four and they will be fine but I would definitely make sure you use a natural peanut butter because the oil distribution is a little different in them and I think it just works well in these cookies, same with the syrup, definitely use 100% real maple syrup. Log Cabin or anything like that have high fructose corn syrup and random other ingredients, as well as a different thickness to them so I don't think it would turn out well with them. The amount of peanut butter and the amount of syrup make them a slightly expensive cookie to make but I think they're worth it. I actually made them tonight with my mom! :)

    ReplyDelete